Wednesday, February 13, 2013

There's no place I'd rather be.

So for this week (3 weeks in, 1/5th of the way done) I'm going to go backwards because that's just what makes the most sense to me!

Tonight I'm writing to you all from my bed, while listening/watching the HU women's game. Senior night shout out to Allison, Sarah, & Lauren! Wish I could be there!!

Tonight I also had my second awkward moment with Isabel... today at lunch she asked me what I wanted for supper and I was so proud when she understood. However, I forgot that I was meeting with my intercombio (Spanish person learning English) at 9:30 and didn't really think about not being home in time for supper.

I met my intercombio, Carmen, after she got done with Pilates. To my surprise  Carmen is 40...which intimidated me even more because of how awful my Spanish is. But she took my to Mexican dinner in her fiat and we had a great time! She is also the sister of my teacher..Salva. However I didn't get home until about 11 and Isabel told me, "I wasn't worried about the food I cooked, I was worried about you!" Which was so sweet. I then shoveled down what she cooked me because I didn't have the heart to tell her I had already eaten.

For those of you keeping score at home...Salva hasn't always been my teacher. I made the decision Monday after class that I needed to be moved into the Beginner classes. After talking with the school's director (who is extremely nice, caring and understanding) we decided it would be best if I changed classes. AND WHAT A RELIEF! The class is waaay more laid back and I'm reviewing what I need to be learning and reviewing what needs to be reviewed. As some of you know, some aspects of school have always been challenging for me, and I've always had to persevere and get through and make the best out of the situations that I've been in. Without those experiences I don't think I would have been able to put away my pride and move "down" to the other class. This week whenever I felt stressed, overwhelmed, or like I just wasn't good enough, a song would always come in my head about God's strength. And honestly without His strength, I think I would be miserable because during class all I could think about was going home or being home or how much I hated it here. After class though I would enjoy myself. This class change thought as really made a difference in my attitude.

On Wednesday night we normally have a chapel-like service but tonight our student ministries coordinator was sick so it looked as if we weren't going to have it. Some students decided that they would just have a small worship time instead and I'm so thankful they did. We sang a few songs that I knew and then a new one that was AWESOME. All it says is this:

"There's no place I'd rather be, There's no place I'd rather be, There's no place I'd rather be, than here in your love, here in your love. Set a fire down in my soul that I can't contain, that I can't control. I want more of you God, I wan't more...."

While much more has happened over this week, I'm starting to settle in to a routine and find some normalcy, but there's still a constant nagging of missing home. After singing that song tonight though it kind of made me realize that no matter where I am, what I'm doing, I always have God's love, it's always there. Which is extremely comforting. I'm growing my relationships, somewhat learning Spanish, and just taking in the culture. I don't want you to get the wrong impression  and think that I'm hating my time here because that's not true at all. I really am enjoying myself.

I'm officially going to Italy for Spring Break:) Grandma, Mom, and Allyson will be here in two weeks :) And I start a new class on Friday! Again I want to thank everyone for their continual thoughts and prayers! Hopefully I will blog about something a little more interesting next time haha

I have yet to wear sweatpants in public,

Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment