Wednesday, January 23, 2013

day 2!

Last night I mostly slept great! I woke up around 3:00 AM and couldn't go back to sleep but after that I slept until 8:00 and as usual, didn't want to get up.

My senora Isabel made us toast with a choice of jelly or chocolate spread... I tried both but of course the chocolate was my favorite. I wasn't brave enough to try coffee so I just drank milk with my breakfast. Isabel then took my roommate and I to the hotel where our orientation was held at. It was just around the corner but it was fun to get out a see a little bit of the city.

At orientation we went over basic, boring, common knowledge things and then we took a placement test :/. Again, I was reminded that my Spanish is horrible and not at the level that I thought it was. Tomorrow we meet with one of our teachers and go over what classes they think will be best suited for us based on the placement test. I'm 100% okay with being put in the beginners classes... especially after that test haha.

After the test we had a small break where I tried cafe con leche, or coffee with milk and lots of sugar and I liked it! We then went back to orientation and went over a few other things, one of which was Flamenco classes... naturally I signed up for them! I'm real excited for those to start! We also got our Spanish mobile phones to use while we are here. If you'd like to call me or something message me on Facebook and we'll get it figured out. We also talked about the train, tram, and bus options that we had to travel across the city. These things make me very nervous since I've never had an opportunity to use them in the States before.

After the orientation Alyssa and I came back home, after taking lots of pictures, and ate lunch with Isabel. We had a sort of arroz con pollo, or chicken with rice and veggies.. it wasn't my favorite meal here so far but it wasn't bad. We also ate bread. Since I've been here I really haven't had much of an appetite and Isabel picked up on that. I tried to explain to her through my broken spanish that I really did like her food I just haven't been hungry... I don't think she understood though..

I then participated in my first Spanish siesta (nap) and it was wonderful! Everyday the city basically shuts down from 2-5 for siesta. During this time you don't have to nap... but it is nice :). After siesta Alyssa and I headed to school for the first time to go on a tour of the city.

I learned a few things from the tour:
1. The cathedral in the city is one of the largest types of cathedrals in one category & then largest in another (I'll have to find out exactly what categories those are.)
2. The cathedral was built on top of a mosque & some features of the mosque still exists and are original.
3. There is a royal palace... I don't think I saw the palace but I saw the gate.
4. I started not to pay attention as much at this point but I did see a lot of really cool things that the U.S. just doesn't have to offer.
5. My roommate is real cool and we get along great!
6. We found where the language college students from Seville study. They are cute. I too, will be studying there.
7. I'm horrible at taking pictures.

After the tour my roommate and I started to head back to our apartment. I stopped to get some euros because we had seen a place to buy shampoo and stuff as well as another place to but some minutes on our phones. We were so preoccupied with looking with store fronts that we ended up lost. Thankfully (in typical Cathy fashion) I brought the map along with me and we found our way back home.

We then had dinner with our Senora (at 9:30...typical of Spaniards. It was yummy and I was able to eat a little bit more. Alyssa and I both made more of an effort to try and communicate with Isabel. We watched TV with her as we ate. They had a top 3 dunks from the NBA of the new which I thought was cool and then there so some like talk show on and Taylor Swift was the guest. Isabel said she was ugly & too skinny, God Bless you Isabel! haha

I'm sure tomorrow will bring lots of new adventures as well. I'm not sure if I'm going to blog everyday but I'll just take it day by day and see what happens! I really can't get over how pretty it is here!

Until tomorrow,

Audrey

1 comment:

  1. Was your chocolate spread called nocilla?? I loved that stuff!

    ReplyDelete